..........Commercial EPCs-EPC Certificates-Gloucester-Monmouth-Hereford-Worcester
Commercial EPCs-EPC Rental Properties-Home EPC-EPC for PV Solar Panels - EPC UK
Mob: 07766 043 629

Gloucestershire Energy Assessors






Home - What is an EPC? - Commercial EPCs - Order EPC - Estate Agents - Contact an Energy Assessor


EPC in Lydney & covering Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire (Gwent) including

Chepstow, Usk, Caldicot, Monmouth , Bristol
Forest of Dean Towns of Lydney, Coleford, Cinderford & Mitcheldean

Goodrich, Ross on Wye, Wye Valley


How do I achieve a 'D' rating on my EPC?

With the new rules coming into effect on 1st April 2012 regarding Feed in Tariffs (FITs) and Solar Photovoltaic PV Panels, many people are left asking the question 

To get Feed in Tariffs (FITs) at the higher standard rate for solar Photovoltaic PV your property needs to have an Energy Performance Certificate rating band of D or better.

If you already have an EPC which shows that your property is a band or level E, F or G you will need to carry out energy efficiency improvements before you apply for the FITs or receive the FIT at the lower rate.

If you dont have a EPC already, it would be wise to firstly seek advise on how likely it will be that you will achieve a level "D" rating or above on your property.

These are your options:

  • Use the handy tools on the government energy savings website www.energysavingtrust.org.uk to get an indication of which EPC band your property MAY achieve and suggestions of what you can do to improve the energy efficiency of your property to gain a higher EPC band rating, before you pay to get an EPC done
  • Speak to your solar panel supplier

*Existing EPCs need to be less than 10 years old to be valid

What About Barns, Farm Sheds and Agricultural Buildings?

There are a few building exceptions which will not need an EPC to qualify for the feed in tariff (FITs) but you will still need a Qualified Energy Assessor to check the building and provide you with a letter confirming that this is the case.

Photovoltaic PV Panel New Rules

The Government rules on Photovoltaic PV Panels came into effect on 1st April 2012.  These new rules on the payment of the Feed-in Tariff (FITs) for solar PV installations will mean that you are required to send an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) to your Feed In Tariff (FITs) supplier, showing that your property has an EPC band level D or above at the time of your application to receive the standard rate of FITs rather than the lower rate you would recieve if your property had an EPC level band of E, F or G.

If your property is a band E or less when you first apply for Feed In Tariff (FITs) then you will receive the FIT at the lower rate. This needs to be done at the time of application to maximise your benefit as if you improve your property’s EPC band to a level D or higher at a later date you will only get the lower rate Feed in Tariff.

This is applicable only to new solar PV panels and systems and extensions of existing solar PV systems installed from 1st April 2012.

Why has the Government introduced this requirement to get a EPC to qualify for the Feed in Tariff ?

This had been introduced because they want to try and ensure that homes meet the minimum standards of energy efficiency before they encourage the installation of solar photvoltaics PV panels and systems, as this would be a waste. 

The UK Government states that this is because reducing demand for energy is one of the most cost-effective ways of reducing carbon emissions and therefore a process that should be prioritised before installing microgeneration technologies such as solar PV. The UK Government state that “Currently, around 51% of all dwellings are rated at EPC level D or above, and 47% of all dwellings except flats (this compares to 13% of dwellings at EPC level C or above)”.

What is The Green Deal 2012?
The Green Deal is a Government policy to reduce carbon emission.The purpose of The Green Deal is to encourage people to make their properties more energy efficient by such means as insulating roofs and walls, by using more efficient heating systems, PV solar panels and installing double glazing. The Green Deal scheme will allow property owners to  take a loan out to pay for these improvments with the intention that it will be paid back via the cost savings made on their fuel bills.

All advice on this website is given without prejudice